Richard T. Liles Leadership Seminar Fund
Colleagues and friends of Richard T. Liles, retired director of Personal and Organizational Development for the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at NC State University, have established the Richard T. Liles Leadership Seminar Fund in the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service Foundation. This fund will provide support for a Leadership Seminar in Dr. Liles' honor that will be held annually or biennially for employees of the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service.
About Dr. Liles
During his thirty-six year career at North Carolina State University, Dr. Liles has served with distinction in a variety of significant leadership roles:
* In 1980, Dr. Liles was named
Leader of Training for North Carolina Cooperative Extension and
Professor in the Department of Adult and Community College Education. His academic accomplishments have included
serving as chair or co-chair for twelve doctoral degree graduates and
thirty Master’s degree graduates. He
also served on over 100 graduate committees at North Carolina State
and he represented NC State on graduate committees at East Carolina
Western Carolina University, and Virginia Tech. He
conducted scholarly research and published in a variety of
areas including: educational program planning, strategic planning,
organizational development, staff development, agricultural and
education, and leadership development.
* Dr. Liles was selected to serve in 1994 as Department Extension Leader for the Department of Agricultural and Extension Education. He provided administrative leadership and support for the Extension and outreach efforts of the department. He was responsible for the departmental strategic plan and for advanced executive leadership programs for NCCE and for leadership outreach programs for the agribusiness industry in North Carolina. He coordinated the off-campus and distance education graduate courses for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
* In 1997, he was promoted to Associate Head of the Department of Agricultural and Extension Education. His responsibilities as administrative leader for departmental Extension programs continued. He provided leadership for program development, staff development, and organizational development for NCCE. In addition, he worked to unify and integrate the department and position it as a national leader for Agricultural and Extension Education.
* Beginning in January of 1999, Dr. Liles was asked to serve as Interim Department Head of Agricultural and Extension Education and Interim Assistant Director for NCCE. In this role, he gave administrative leadership to a department with a wide variety of responsibilities including: staff and organizational development for NCCE, academic programs for agriculture and Extension education, leadership for the FFA program in North Carolina, professional development for the agriculture teachers in North Carolina and a comprehensive research program in Agricultural and Extension Education.
* In October 2000, Dr. Liles was named Director of Personal and Organizational Development (POD), to provide program leadership for the POD System for the North Carolina Cooperative Extension System and administrative leadership for faculty and staff in the POD unit. The director serves as a member of the Extension Council, the Joint Extension Team (JET) and the Extension Administrative Team. As director, he was responsible for aiding in the personal and professional development of all NCCE employees and volunteers, for the program development process in NCCE, and for organizational development programs and activities for NCCE.
Awards and Honors:
* Epsilon Sigma Phi awarded him with
the Distinguished Mid-Career Award, one of four given nationally in
1989. Dr. Liles has chaired numerous
and national committees related to extension and executive development
an active member of a variety of professional associations. He has published a variety of papers and
articles with a focus on educational program development, and he has
co-authored a textbook on agribusiness.
* He also received the Gordon Lawrence Award from the International Association of Psychological Type, the Extension Leadership Award, and the Epsilon Sigma Phi State Award of Visionary Leadership. He is a member of Phi Kappa Phi, Gamma Sigma Delta, the World Futures Society, and Sigma Iota Rho.
Dr. Liles is married to Jeanine Haase Liles, a retired school teacher. They have three grown children and two grandchildren. He retired from NC State in 2006.
How to support the Liles Leadership Seminar Fund
Click here for a response form you may print and mail to Liles Leadership Seminar Fund, Campus Box 7569, Raleigh, NC 27695 or FAX to 919.515.5274. Click here for a bank draft/payroll deduction form (must be submitted with response form). You may give securely online using your credit card by clicking here.