A New Chapter: CALS Strategic Plan 2013
Date posted: December 20, 2012
What will the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences look like in 10, 25, 50 years? This strategic planning initiative is designed to sketch a path to the future for the College. Through a series of listening sessions and other interactions with faculty, staff, students, friends and stakeholders, we developed an understanding of where the College is today along with a vision for where we want to be in the future. This process was intended to be inclusive and transparent. This web page is designed to keep you up-to-date about what’s going on with the initiative, and it will serve as an archive for what’s been accomplished so far. The page is updated frequently, so please check back and help us chart a path to the future. For more information, contact Dr. Marshall Stewart, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-515-1681. For the latest updates, follow ncsu_cals on Twitter.
Dean Linton gave a CALS Update on June 17, 2013. The presentation covered many important and timely topics, and a much of the presentation concerned the results of the strategic planning process.
View Dean’s Linton’s June 17 presentation: Growing Our People, Programs and Partnerships Every Day
View Consultant Glenn Tecker discussing the importance of the CALS strategic planning effort.
- February 18: Fifteen major themes or questions emerged from the listening sessions held across North Carolina. Various individuals, identified by their peers as key stakeholders, were then invited to discuss the 15 major themes at a recent work group meeting. View 15 major themes (PDF).
- January 14: More than 300 people have participated in listening sessions so far, with more scheduled in weeks to come (see below). In addition, work group meetings are being scheduled. Read more (PDF).
- January 9: Results from CALS Steering Committee Design Session, December 12, 2012, by Glenn Tecker of Tecker International
- December 21: The CALS strategic planning process started December 11 with a steering committee design session and a department heads dialogue. Facilitated by Glenn Tecker of Tecker International, the purpose of the day was to develop the process design and timeline and start conversations regarding the College’s future direction. Read more (PDF).
Messages from Dean Linton
- An update on the College (YouTube video, July 1, 2013)
- An update on the CALS Strategic Plan (YouTube video, March 28, 2013)
- The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at N.C. State: Help Us with Our Future (PDF slides presented at the North Carolina Commodity Leaders Breakfast, March 8, 2013)
- CALS strategic planning update (PDF memo sent to CALS email list, February 20, 2013)
- Presentation for listening sessions: Full version (PDF) and short version (PDF)
- Update and invitation to participate (PDF memo sent to CALS email list, December 20, 2012)
- CALS strategic planning process (PDF memo sent to CALS email list, November 28, 2012)
- January 7: McKimmon Center, N.C. State University Campus, 1101 Gorman Street, Raleigh, 12-2 p.m. | photos | summary
- January 7: N.C. Farm Bureau, 5301 Glenwood Ave., Raleigh, 4-6 p.m. | photos | summary
- January 10: McKimmon Center, N.C. State University Campus, 1101 Gorman Street, Raleigh, 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | photos | summary
- January 10: Student session, AgriLife Council, Schaub Hall, N.C. State campus | summary
- January 11: N.C. Biotechnology Center, 15 TW Alexander Drive, Research Triangle Park, 4-6 p.m. | photos | summary
- January 24: Duplin County Extension Center, 165 Agriculture Drive, Kenansville, 8-10 a.m.| photos | summary
- January 24: Vernon G. James Research and Extension Center, 207 Research Station Road, Plymouth, 4-6 p.m. | summary
- February 6: Union County Extension Center, 3230-D Presson Road, Monroe, 8-10 a.m. | summary | photos
- February 7: Iredell County Extension Center, 444 Bristol Drive, Statesville, 4-6 p.m. | summary | photos
- February 8: Western North Carolina Ag Center, Virginia Boone Center, 1301 Fanning Bridge Road, Fletcher, 8-10 a.m. | summary | photos
- February 8: Madison County Extension Center, 258 Carolina Lane, Marshall, 4-6 p.m. | summary | photos
- 2012 Agribusiness Job Report (PDF by AgCareers.com)
- 2012 Evidence and Opportunity: Impacts of Bioscience in North Carolina (PDF by Battelle Technology Partnership Practice, January 2013)
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service Strategic Plan FY2012-17 (PDF)
- Challenges and opportunities: Departments in N.C. State University’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (PDF compilation of challenges and opportunities submitted by departments for dean’s visits, January 2013)
- From ivory tower to public square: Democracy and the engaged university (Presentation by Andrew Petter of Simon Fraser University to the Sixth Annual World Universities Forum, January 2013)
- Human capacity development: The road to global competitiveness and leadership in food, agriculture, natural resources, and related sciences (PDF by the Academic Programs Section, Board on Agriculture Assembly, Association of Public and Land-grant Universities, May 2009)
- Strategic opportunities for Cooperative Extension (PDF by the Extension Committee on Organization and Policy Strategic Priorities Task Force, 2010)
- Report to the president: Agricultural preparedness and the agriculture research enterprise (PDF by the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, December 2012)
- A science roadmap for food and agriculture (PDF by the Experiment Station Committee on Organization and Policy, November 2010)
Category: Strategic Plan 2013