AEE 500 - GUIDELINES FOR SHADOWING AN AGRICULTURE TEACHER
Select a teacher and school that you feel will offer experience in keeping with your interest. You should contact the teacher and school before you go to get permission to visit the school.
Check in with the school office when you arrive at the school.
Report to the agriculture teacher. Introduce yourself, tell him why you are there, what is expected of you, and ask for his/her suggestions.
When you leave, thank the instructor for his/her cooperation.
Go by the school office and tell the staff you are leaving the school.
Don't take notes while you are observing the teacher instruct (if that is a possibilty. In the summer in may not be a possibility). The teacher may believe you are trying to evaluate his/her teaching. If you make the teacher feel uncomfortable, you will not get a good insight into what really goes on. You should take notes at other times.
sure that it is clear to the teacher that you are there because it is a
requirement for this course. You are not there to evaluate or
A CHECKLIST FOR STUDENTS OBSERVING SCHOOLS
This will serve as a guide to help you get an adequate picture of the educational program you visit. Your written report should contain this information plus any other pertinent information about the school and program that is appropriate.
1. What are the components of a complete program in agricultural education?
2. What are the characteristics of students who enroll in agricultural education? (Include such things as mental ability, occupational interest, personal characteristics, and behavior). How are agricultural students similar to the rest of the students in school? How do they differ?
3. Describe the classes you observed.
4. Describe the status of the FFA and SAE programs in the school.
5. About how many hours a week does an agriculture teacher typically work?
6. What are the responsibilities of the agricultural teacher?
7. What are NEA, ACTE, and NAAE? Which of these organizations does the agriculture teacher usually join? Why?
8. What are the basic rules pertaining to discipline in the school you visited?
What are the rewards of being an agricultural teacher? What are the
What advice would the teacher give to someone considering teaching