2005 Senior Dairy Quiz Bowl Questions Round 05
Phase B 5 Questions Correct answers are worth 10 points each.
Only the team being asked the questions is to be in the room. Each team will be asked these 5 questions. Answers are to be given by a team captain, but assistance may come from any team member. A question may be repeated only once. Answers must be started within 20 seconds. Partial credit may be given at the discretion of the judges. After one team has been questioned, the other team will enter the contest room and be asked the same 5 questions.
1. What position does Steve Troxler hold in our North Carolina government?
ANS: Commissioner of Agriculture
2. When a sperm cell with a Y chromosome fertilizes an egg, what sex will the offspring be?
3. Why would you feed the additive Poloxalene to cows that are grazing alfalfa or clover?
ANS: To prevent bloat
4. What disease in dairy cattle does BLV stand for?
ANS: Bovine Leukosis Virus
5. If a corn silage sample contains 33% dry matter, what percentage moisture does it contain?
ANS: 67% moisture
Phase C 20 Questions Correct answers are worth 15 points each.
Both teams are in the room for Phase C. The first contestant to signal will answer the question within 5 seconds after being acknowledged by the moderator. Failure to do so will cost that team 10 points. Any contestant answering a question without being acknowledged by the moderator will lose 10 points. If an answer is incorrect, members of the other team will have the opportunity to answer the question without having it reread except for true/false, either or and yes or no type questions. If an answer is given in these types of questions, the question will be replaced with a tie breaker question, and given to the other team. No points are deducted for giving an incorrect answer. Team members are not allowed to discuss the answers in this phase. No partial credit is available in Phase C, except for bonus questions. If neither team can offer an answer to the question within 10 seconds, the moderator will give the answer and the question will be dropped but neither team will forfeit points.
1. Which of the following terms is used to measure the accuracy of a genetic evaluation?
a) marketability b) predictability c) reliability
ANS: c) reliability
2. Which of the following is a B vitamin:
a) biotin b) casein c) tyrosine d) carotene
ANS: a) biotin
3. What do the initials ET stand for on a Holstein pedigree?
ANS: Embryo Transfer
4. Which of the following vitamins is water-soluble?
a) Vitamin A `b) Vitamin D c) niacin
5. Which of the following are classified as ionophores?
a) Rumensin (monensin) and Bovatec (lasalocid)
b) methionine and lysine
c) calcium and phosphorous
ANS: a) Rumensin (monensin) and Bovatec (lasalocid)
6. Which of the following is formed when glucose and galactose combine?
a) fructose b) sucrose c) dextrose d) lactose
ANS: d) lactose
7. What is the name of the group of hormones, produced in the uterus, that cause regression of the corpus luteum, and contractions of the uterus.
8. In a newborn calf, which of the following stomach compartments is the largest relative size (as a percentage of the total stomach capacity)?
a) rumen b) reticulum c) omasum d) abomasum
ANS: d) abomasum
9. You purchase one ton (2000 pounds) of dairy feed that contains 22% crude protein. How many pounds of crude protein did you buy?
ANS: 440 pounds
10. What happens to the pH of corn silage in a silo during a proper fermentation process?
a) it increases b) it decreases c) it does not change
ANS: b) it decreases
11. According to the Pasteurized Milk Ordinance (PMO), what is the minimum standard for solids-not-fat of homogenized whole milk?
a) 3.25% b) 8.25% c) 12.25% d) 15.25%
ANS: b) 8.25%
12. In what part of the digestive system are the immunoglobulins in colostrum absorbed in a newborn calf?
ANS: Small intestine
13. Which of the following is the main advantage to using a “Brown Midrib” corn variety for silage?
a) higher lignin content and lower fiber digestibility
b) lower lignin content and greater fiber digestibility
c) higher yields
ANS: b) lower lignin content and greater fiber digestibility
14. Which of the following is the most concentrated source of energy in dairy cattle rations?
a) starch b) protein c) fat d) carbohydrate
ANS: c) fat
15. DUMPS is an inherited condition which results in embryonic death. In which breed is it found?
a) Jersey b) Guernsey c) Holstein
ANS: c) Holstein
16. On the Dairy Cow Unified Score Card, under what category is “ Pasterns”?
ANS: Feet and Legs
17. “Saturated” fatty acids are completely hydrogenated. How many double bonds do “saturated” fatty acids contain?
a) 2 b) 4 c) 6 d) none
ANS: d) none
18. What metabolic disorder does the feeding or drenching of “ propylene glycol” help to prevent in dairy cows?
ANS: Ketosis (also accept Acetonemia)
19. On the PDCA Dairy Cow Unified Score Card, what category contains the reference to “ Stature”?
ANS: Frame category
20. What is the common name for the metabolic disorder “ parturient paresis”?
ANS: Milk fever
Bonus Questions Each bonus question is worth 20 points.
Bonus questions may be earned in the toss‑up round. To receive a bonus question, 3 different team members must correctly answer the toss‑up questions. Bonus questions are not passed to the other team, nor are points deducted for an incomplete or incorrect answer to the question. Bonus question will be asked whenever 3 team members have answered toss‑up questions correctly with the count kept individually for both teams within a match. Eligibility for bonus questions does not carry over to another match. The answers must come from the team captain but assistance can come from the other team members. Only the number or answers required by the bonus question will be accepted. Example: If the bonus has a four‑part answer ‑ the first four answers given by the team will be accepted. Answers to a bonus question must start within 20 seconds and be completed within 60 seconds.
1. Name the structure found on the ovary that is also referred to as a “ yellow body”:
ANS: Corpus luteum
2. When posing a lactating dairy cow in the show ring, the rear leg closest to the judge should be in which of the following positions?
a) forward b) backward c) it does not matter
ANS: a) forward
3. What is the name of the sugar found only in milk?