Lesson #3 -- Systematics and Taxonomy
- Explain how arthropods differ from other animal phyla such as Annelida and Onychophora.
- List the major subphyla of arthropods. Name representative members of each subphylum and describe the physical characteristics that distinguish them.
- Compare the basic morphological organization of an insect with that of an arachnid, a crustacean, and a myriapod.
- Identify the scientific name and any common names associated with each order of insects.
- Describe the physical features and distinguishing characteristics for each order of insects.
- Identify the ecological role and describe the economic importance (if any) for each order of insects.
- Describe the phylogenetic (evolutionary) relationships within the Class Insecta and identify close relatives of each insect order.