1. The further away an object is, the more clearly an insect can
see its shape.
2. Tympana and chordotonal organs may both function as sound
3. True color vision (trichromatic) occurs only in the orders
Diptera and Coleoptera.
4. Dorsal ocelli are the primary visual organs of hemimetabolous
5. Visual signals may be produced with little or no expenditure
6. Sound is the only communication system that is effective
7. Which structure is NOT part of the central nervous system?
A. Frontal ganglion C. Circumesophageal commissure
B. Tritocerebrum D. Subesophageal ganglion
8. An insect must use both of its compound eyes (simultaneously)
in order to perceive:
A. Distance or depth C. Ultraviolet light
B. Shape or size D. Polarized light
9. The chemical trail produced by foraging ants would be
classified as a(n):
A. Kairomone C. Allomone
B. Pheromone D. None of these
10. Which statement about the insect's nervous system is
A. The ventral nerve cord controls the heart and gut.
B. The caudal ganglion controls the external genitalia.
C. The brain controls the eyes and antennae.
D. The subesophageal ganglion controls the mouthparts.
11. The deutocerebrum innervates the:
A. Mouthparts C. Antennae
B. Compound eyes D. Heart
12. An ommatidium is best defined as a:
A. Subdivision of the ventral nerve cord.
B. Functional unit of the compound eye.
C. Mechanoreceptor used for proprioception.
D. Ventral lobe of the insect's brain.
13. Fly larvae (maggots) move away from a bright source of light.
This is an example of a:
A. Taxis C. Reflex
B. Kinesis D. Transverse orientation
14. A male empiid fly courts a female for 20 minutes and then
gives up after he fails to elicit any response. This is an
A. Conditioning C. Imprinting
B. Habituation D. Instrumental learning
15. The circumesophageal connective joins the:
A. Deutocerebrum with the tritocerebrum.
B. Tritocerebrum with the subesophageal ganglion.
C. Two lobes of the tritocerebrum.
D. Frontal ganglion with the hypocerebral ganglion.
Match each behavior listed in the left column with its typical
function listed in the right column.
16. Light flash in firefly A. Courtship
17. Waggle dance in honey bee C. Nestmate recognition
D. Location of food
18. Stridulation in cricket E. Alarm
19. Trophallaxis in ants
20. Hissing in cockroach
Use the following key to indicate which social insects are
described in items #21-25.
D. All of these
21. Exhibit reproductive division of labor.
22. Members of several generations share the same nest site.
23. Cannot replace a queen once she dies.
24. Some workers are male.
25. Use pheromones to communicate with nestmates.
Go to Answers