EGSA Meeting Information
Date: 9 Feb. 2015
- Faculty wants to separate the Grad Student symposium from the recruiting event
- Next trivia is March 16th at McDaid’s on Hillsborough
- NCSU Grad student symposium (March 25th) and NCSU Latino symposium coming up soon
- Colin, Emily, and maybe two others
- EGSA now has a Facebook page up and running
- We need to get the Industry-funded outreach organized and scheduled
- We might organize a local brewery tour or a trip to a brewery as the EGSA
- Symposium went well and had a decent turn out. Could have had more faculty show up but overall good
- Next year we will separate the symposium from the prospective student recruitment
- Faculty will run the prospective student events (maybe have a poster session for them but no talks)
- Symposium can change to a time we want (Possibly every August, the first Friday of the first full week of class)
- Open it up to other department grad students who’s projects are directly related to entomology
- Mix up the talks to have 15 minutes, 5 minutes, or let people mix it up and either present short or long talks during their time slot
- Separate the talks by those presenting in the competition, and those not competing
- Potentially only invite other departments for poster presentations (then may need to change venues)
- Could invite one alumnus to present a plenary session
- Should check with people to make sure they will not be gone for field season.
- There is a new small conference room where the old copy/supply room was
- The NCSU CALS Keller Award - provides funding for PhD students
- Had only 1 applicant this year so students from our department should apply!
- Carrie is doing professional development for undergrads working in department labs every other Friday
- If you’ve got undergrads in your lab, let them know they are welcome
Date: 20 Jan. 2015
- Faculty meeting: getting a business office liaison (Brenda G.) processing grants etc…
- Renovation out at Lake Wheeler coming up (bike path, public interactive, community farm-type deal)
- Prospective student weekend coming up along with grad student symposium next Friday (9am) morning, lunch provided, and dinner social at Player’s Retreat (1/30/15)
- Graduate student symposium: Students giving 15 minute talks (10-12 plus 3 for questions)
- Deborah Finke will be doing the Mike Duke seminar (tentatively April 22nd)
- Officer nominations are coming up in March for elections coming in May
- Debating on using excess pinned insects to donate to schools during outreaches. Matt and Keith have a lot of extra pinned specimens that could be given away. Need to figure out a way to package them.
- Thinking about starting a Thursday afternoon seminar for the department every Thursday at 5pm at Mitch's
- Madamesquite trip with Clyde and Sally on January 31st
- Considering adopting part of the Raleigh Capital greenway trail for EGSA to maintain.
Date: 11 Nov. 2014
- No faculty meeting report
- People need to sign up for some more shifts at the holiday party
- Ent. holiday party
- Social committee needs to organize the entertainment (and photo slide show)
- Grad. student Thanksgiving will be hosted by Carrie de Jesus for those who cannot go home over break.
Date: 14 Oct. 2014
- Make a brochure or something to encourage recruitment at ESA national meeting
- Incentivize working at the EGSA table at ESA. Raffle ticket for every hour served
- Jeremy knows people who sell discounted merchandise like beer glasses
- Fallon Fowler is now the Fundraising Chair. Co-chaired with April Hamblin
- Everyone will soon receive an email with lists of committee members and chairs
- Deborah Finke will be the Mike Duke seminar speaker
- We need to decide on a date
- Post-docs want to start up a seminar series that will focus more on methods and tools for experiments/studies
- To begin in November and want a lot of grad student participation
- Halloween party at Colin’s the Saturday after Halloween.
- Costume competition and gathering in GA on Friday, Oct. 31
- November 11th, CALS diversity committee is holding a panel for grad students
- Tips for funding, advisors relationships, course loads, stress management
- Panel of students, professors, post-docs for personal anecdotes and advice
Date: 16 Sept. 2014
- Friday Afternoon Seminar (FAS) - email Gabe if you are interested in attending
- Everyone keep an eye out for committee emails
- Remember to vote for Mike Duke speaker
- Football game tailgates?
- Linnaean game practices coming up
- Outreach: Keith Bayless, Paul Adams, Johanna Elsenson, Kristi Backe, Angela Sierra, April Hamblin, Nicole Gutzmann
- Social: Keith Bayless, Paul Adams, Amanda Anderson, Colin Funaro, Marcel Deguenon, James Withrow
- Seminar: Keith Bayless, Adam Dale, Alejandro del Pozo, Pete Nelson, Yvonne Matos, Angela Sierras, Kristen Hopperstad, Colin Funaro
- Fundraising: Keith Bayless, Alejandro del Pozo, Johanna Elsenson, Fallon Fowler, April Hamblin, Colin Funaro
Date: 8 Sept. 2014:
- Meetings on Tuesdays at 5pm (first of each month) for this Fall 2014 semester
- Pizza at the first meeting
- April proposed a community pollinator garden event at the arboretum
- EGSA will pay for supplies as outreach
- Need to create committees via signups
- Need more people to sign up for afternoon Bugfest shift
- Outreach efficacy survey?? Followup survey to email out after each outreach.
- Don’t forget about the Bayer funded outreach outside of Wake County
- Donation jar for the table at Bugfest?
- Keith, tell Clyde when the meetings are.
- Should we purchase an outreach 3-panel display board?