The availability of graduate teaching and research assistantships varies from year to year. Faculty often have assistantship funds from grants for specific projects. There are a few department-funded research and teaching assistantships. Consideration for assistantships is given only after the prospective student's application has been approved by the Graduate Student Recruitment Committee.
Assistantships provide a stipend and benefits. Benefits include in-state tuition, fees, and health insurance (as long as the student remains on an assistantship). Providing that satisfactory progress is being made toward the degree, assistantships are guaranteed for:
- 2½ years (5 semesters) for the M.S. degree
- 3½ years (7 semesters) for the Ph.D. with M.S.
- 4½ years (9 semesters) for the Ph.D. without M.S.
Click HERE to view any available assistantships in the department.
Specific Fellowships and Scholarships: There are also several specialized fellowships and scholarships available to qualified students. These awards include:
- Graduate Teaching Fellowships - Provides opportunities for doctoral students to have significant teaching experiences.
- NSF-IGERT PhD Fellowship - For students who have backgrounds in both the natural and social sciences who want to continue interdisciplinary work for their graduate studies. NSF funded project on "Genetic Engineering and Society: Exploring the case of transgenic pests"
- William M. Keck Center for Behavioral Biology
- Urban Entomology Graduate fellowships
- Structural Pest Management Training Facility Assistantship - works at the training facility helping to prepare insect teaching collections and have the opportunity to participate in traing programs. Contact Dr. Michael Waldvogel to check on availability.
- Indoor Urban Entomology Scholarship - a $1500 scholarship from the NC Pest Management Association awarded annually to a graduate student in the indoor urban entomology program
Other Financial Aid Sources: Students who cannot secure an assistantship through the department can apply for College and University financial aid as described in the following links: