Food . . . For Thought!
- Here in the United States, we spend less than 11 percent of our expendable income on food, making U.S. food the most affordable in the world!
- By February 9 of each year, the average American citizen has earned enough to buy food for the entire year. It takes the same citizen until May 9 to earn enough to pay annual taxes.
- The United States has less than 7 percent of the world’s land but produces 13 percent of the world’s farm commodities.
- Thanks to U.S. agriculture and agribusinesses, those who eat U.S.-produced food enjoy the safest and most plentiful food in the world!
- A family of four eats about 5,000 pounds of food each year.
- In North Carolina, agriculture and agribusiness -- food, fiber and forestry -- make up the state’s No. 1 industry. Agriculture accounts for 22 percent of the $217 billion gross state product and for more than three-quarters of a million jobs.