Most important species: H. dihystera and H. multicinctus
Their common name comes from the shape of their body after death, a spiral.
- most cosmopolitan nematode in the US (ubiquitous distribution)
- achieve high numbers in soil, but rarely cause extensive damage
- climatic range is temperate to tropical
- main crop host is banana
- average life cycle is 30-45 days
- males are rare suggesting parthenogenesis
- typically feed on only a few cell around head 4-6 cell layers deep
H. multicinctus causes serious damage on bannana roots and corms
in the tropics.
Morphological species comparisons.