Nina Strömgren Allen
- B.S. - 1957 - Zoology - University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
- M.S. - 1970 - Plant Biology- University of Maryland, College Park, MD, USA.
- Ph.D.- 1973 - Plant Physiology - University of Maryland, College Park,
MD, USA.(with John Terborgh)
- Postdoctoral - 1973-75 - Biology - State University of New York at
Albany, Albany, NY, USA.(with Robert Day Allen)
- Professor, Plant BiologyDepartment, North Carolina State University, Raleigh,
NC. 1995 to present
- Professor, Biology Department, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem,
- Associate Professor, Biology Department, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem,
- NSF Visiting Professorship for Women, Biological Sciences Department,
Stanford University, Stanford, CA. 1990-1991. Sponsor: Sharon Long
- Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences Department, Dartmouth College,
Hanover, NH, 1976-1983
- Visiting Assistant Professor and Research Associate, Biological Sciences
Department, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, 1975-1976
- Research Assistant, Biological Sciences Department, SUNY Albany, Albany,
- Summer Researcher, Investigator, Corporation Member, Trustee, Executive
Committee, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA, 1970-2000.
- Visiting Scientist, MBL, Woods Hole, MA. 1996-
- Teaching Assistant, Plant BiologyDepartment, University of Maryland, College
Park, NY, 1964-67
- Child Rearing, 1958-1966 (five children, now ages
- Teaching Assistant, Plant BiologyDepartment, University of Wisconsin, 1957-1958.
Major Professor: John T. Curtis
- Phi Beta Kappa, Mortarboard, Phi Sigma, University of Wisconsin, 1957
- NIH Predoctoral Fellow, University of Maryland, 1967-70
- Sigma Xi, SUNY Albany, 1972
- Fellow, AAAS, 1990
SERVICE & PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES (Selected)
- Ad hoc reviewer for ten journals and reviewer for NSF, USDA and NIH
- Cell Motility, Editorial Board, 1980-1985
- Plant Biology, Alan R. Liss, Inc. Series Editor and Founder. (12 volumes)
- BioTechniques, Editorial Board, 1989-1996
- Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology (formerly Protozoology), Editorial
- Microscopy Research and Technique, Editorial Board, 1995-
- Study Sections., NSF Biological Centers Panel, 1987. Center, Site Visit,
- Presidential Young Investigator Awards Panel, l991.
- ILI Panel, 1993. InstrumentationPanel, 1994-present
- NIH. Biomedical Research Technology Review Committee. Ad Hoc reviewer.
1988. Study Section Member, 1989-1993. Instrumentation Study Section, Ad
Hoc Reviewer, 1990.1995
- Minorities Program, Program Study Review and Site visit. 1993.
- AAAS, Biological Sciences (1998-2001); Committee
on Council, 1999 -
- AWIS, President, RTP Chapter, 1998 -
- Consultant to RJR Technical Co., Winston-Salem,
N.C., Piedmont Chemical Company, Winston Salem, N.C., Carolina Biological,
Burlington, N.C., and Molecular Probes, Eugene, Oregon
- Executive Board:
Microscopy Short Courses.
- "Optical Microscopy and Imaging in the Biomedical Sciences"
at the Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA. N.S. Allen, Director
(with C. Izzard). 1988 1992.
- R.D Allen, Course Director, N.S. Allen, Organizer, instructor, 1977-82
"Video Microscopy". NCSU Summer Biotechnology Series. 1993, 1995.
- American Society for Cell Biology,
- American Society of Plant Physiologists,
- American Women in Science, American Association for the Advancement
- Marine Biological Laboratory,
- Phycological Society of America,
- North Carolina Academy of Science,
- International Society for Plant Molecular Biology,
- Royal Microscopical Society, Fellow,
- Electron Microscopical Society of America,
- Society for Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions.
- American Society for Gravitational and Space Biology.
U.S. Patent #4,412,246. R.D. Allen and N.S. Allen. For the development of AVEC (Allen video enhanced contrast) light microscopic methods. October 25, 1983.